It's Not Easy

  menu bar
menu1
The Last Birthday Present

By Lady Timedramon

------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters contained within.

Note: This fic was originally done for the tt500 five hundred word challenge at LiveJournal

------------------------------------------

“Hey Beast Boy, you done yet?” asked Cyborg from the door of Beast Boy’s room.

“Umm. . .,” The shapeshifter grinned and scratched the back of his head. Piles were scattered all over the floor.

“Oh, come on man! We all promised to donate some stuff for the celebrity auction for the children’s hospital.”

“I know, I know. It’ll take me a bit longer.” One of the piles began to move. Cautiously Cyborg armed his sonic blaster. Before he could proceed, Starfire flew past him and dug through the pile.

“Silkie! There you are!” she exclaimed, hugging the mutant larva as it gurgled happily.

Shaking his head, Cyborg deactivated his weapon. “Let me give you a hand. Otherwise you’ll be here all day.” Beast Boy shrugged, then resumed sorting his piles. “Ewww. . .,” Cyborg grimaced as he picked up a smelly sock.

“You don’t have to help.”

“There’s gotta be something good you could donate.” Reaching in at random, he pulled out a toy monkey playing a musical instrument. “How ‘bout this?”

Beast Boy’s eyes widened with agitation. “GIMME THAT!” He snatched the toy from Cyborg.

“Whoa!” Cyborg looked at Beast Boy in surprise.

“This stays,” he said in a tone that Cyborg and Starfire rarely heard him use.

“But. . . it’s a little kid’s toy,” qualified Cyborg.

“Yes,” added Starfire. “It would bring some child great joy.”

“It. . . it was a birthday gift from my parents. . .,” returned Beast Boy in a sad tone.

“Was it a gift from the Patrol of Doom?”

“No. My real parents.” Beast Boy sat down on the floor, staring at the toy.

“You’ve never mentioned your parents before,” said Cyborg as both he and Starfire sat as well.

“It was my fourth birthday. My parents were scientists studying in Africa at the time.” Closing his eyes, he pictured his parents - watching his father at work at his equipment while his mother studied slides through a microscope. “One of their assistants came in and whispered something to my dad. He grinned, picked me up and carried me into another room. Some of the other assistants had managed get some decorations and make a cake.”

A tear rolled down his cheek as he recalled his mother putting a hat on him and telling him to blow out the candles while his father took pictures. Beast Boy remembered tearing open the wrapping and finding the toy monkey. He recollected shouting with glee and playing with it for hours.

Beast Boy hugged the toy close. “A month later I got sick. That, combined with my dad’s cure, gave me my powers. Just before my fifth birthday, my parents were killed in a flood. This is the last birthday present they ever gave me.” He swallowed a lump in his throat. “It’s one of the few things I have left of them.”

“Then you should keep it,” said Starfire, placing her hand on his shoulder.

“Yeah man,” added Cyborg. In his mind, he resolved to make Beast Boy’s next birthday one to remember.

-end-




Quick Links
    menu links






Garfield Logan, Changeling, Beast Boy, Teen Titans, Doom Patrol and most of the characters on this site are trademarks of DC Comics.