Excerpts from the Diary of Tegan Dawson

A GRITFic

By Time Lady

November 4, 1975

dear diarie

i talkt to Uncl Joe on the fone today. hez in new york. he askt how Im doin in skool. i sayed gud. My teachr, Segenorida Aldo, is nice. I told him she sayed I talk gud ‘talan, ‘speclly cuz I just startd 4 munts ago. I cudnt talk long, cuz Daddy wantd to talk to Uncl Joe. I know it’s not nice to lisson in when Daddy iz on the fone, but I cudnt help it. He tol Uncl Joe he waz prowd of me. I cudnt lisson any more cuz my stoopid bruther Adam startd buging me. i am *so* glad we dont go to the same skool. I go to one a few blocks away. Evrywon talks ‘talian there. My dum-dum bruther diddn lurn enuf ‘talian and has to go to a pecial skool uther kids that talk just engulish go to, so they can learn in engulish. i gotta go diarie. Daddy wants to help me practice german. one thing I wanna know. Its one of the things I heard Daddy and Uncl Joe talking about. Whats a wacher?

June 12, 1976

Dear Diary,

Weve been in Germany a week now. Mommys helpin me with my writing in english. She says its importnt that I learn good english, because good eglish will help me learn other languges good. The partment Mr. Lafarge got us is really nice. Daddy said Adam and I wont go to school here because in August, were going to go to London, England. I’m kinda glad. I dont need to learn a new language. But I heard some radio and saw some tv programs from England. They use funny words sometimes. Like they call a truck a “lorry.” Dont know why. Daddy got me a book on birds. He said that maybe on the weekend, we can go bird watching. I wonder if that’s what being a watcher means?

October 31, 1976

Dear Diary,

I didn’t do too good on my spelling test. Mrs. Smythe, who’s really picky that we spell her name with a “y” and an “e” at the end, complains that I use American spellings and need to learn the right “English” spellings. I can never remember that they stick a “u” in “color,” and stuff like that. Mommy says my other writing is getting better, and not to let the teacher bug me. After school, we went to see Mr. Lafarge. He said he was sorry we couldn’t have Halloween like we do in the states, but he gave Adam and me huge bags of candy. Then we all went for fish and chips. Though they’re really not like potato chips. They’re french fries. I couldn’t eat alot, because the smell of the fish made me sick. Mom says I’m lergic to fish, that I ate it once when I was little, and they had to take me to a hospital. So not liking the smell is reminding me that eating it’s gonna make me sick. Mr. Lafarge also gave me and Adam a record of Japanese lessons and a book of writing. He said we’re going to be going to Japan at the beginning of the summer. He wants to start a new office in Tokyo, so we might be there a while. I don’t mind. Learning Japanese looks like it might be fun. Especially the writing. Daddy said we’ll keep going bird watching there, and that we might get to see birds that we don’t in other countries. Oh, I almost forgot. Last night, when I was trying to go to sleep, I heard Daddy talking to Uncle Joe again. He said something about me going to be a good watcher. Is there such a thing as watching birds as a job?

June 23, 1977

Dear Diary,

WOW! Japan is *so* cool! Mom took me and Adam sight seeing. We saw a temple that was supposed to be really, really old. One of the men there was doing a funny prayer. We bought something that another man said would give us good luck. I hope so. Our apartment is big enough that I have my own room. Mr. Lafarge says we need to be comfortable because we are going to be here for a while. There’s a nice girl downstairs named Ayuni. She also has a big brother, who’s also a pain. He and Adam should also be good friends. School here is kinda different. Mom’s taking me there to see it tomorrow. I have to get some uniforms. The uniform here is kinda like a sailor suit. I wish I could wear the uniform from my school in England. I liked it. Dinner’s almost ready. I’m going to have one problem here in Japan. Fish is really popular. They even like *raw* fish here. Ewwww.... Mom said I have to remember to tell people I’m allergic to seafood. There’s a sauce here used for flavor that’s made from fish. Eating it might make me sick. I hafta be careful. Mom’s calling again. Gotta go, Diary.

September 15, 1977

Dear Diary,

I can’t write long Diary. I’ve got a *ton* of homework, then we’re going to go somewhere with Mr. Lafarge, so we probably won’t be home till bedtime. Not alot to say now. I’m really glad I have a lock on you. I caught Adam trying to open it. Daddy says if he trys it again, he’s grounded. My teacher said I’m doing a good job on learning to write in Japanese. What’s really funny is that my best class is the English class. She said I really don’t need to be in it, but it’s an easy “A,” and I help the teacher with some of the students that’re having trouble. Oh, Daddy gave me some new Nancy Drew books. I like Nancy. Maybe I’ll be a detective when I grow up. Or a translator. My teachers say I do a good job with language. Gotta go. Mom’s calling me.

July 26, 1978

Dear Diary,

I am now officially 10 years old. Uncle Joe called to wish me happy birthday. So did Grinny. You know, Great Aunt Annie. Uncle Joe sent me some mystery books. Grinny sent me a new Barbie and Ken, and some Barbie clothes. I got to have a party. Ayuni, Mika, and Kokoro came. So did some other people from my class. I got some more new books, a bracelet, and a pair of earrings. Daddy gave me a pair of binoculars. He said it’s for our bird watching. I’m getting a little bored with bird watching. I’d rather read some of the mangas I got. The *coolest* thing I got was from Mr. Lafarge. He knows how much I love the Wizard of Oz. He gave me a set of books and said they were *FIRST EDITION* books. The dates on them are *really* old. I’m going to have to be very careful and take good care of them. I told my friends about the Wizard of Oz. They’re going to see if there’s copies of Wizard of Oz in Japanese. I hope so. I like it here in Japan. I have really good friends. I like having my own room. I even like school. I’m going to stop now Diary. I’m really tired.

April 10, 1979

Dear Diary,

Today was *awful*! It started out ok. Sentara-sensei gave my group an “A” on our science project. After school, I went to Mika’s apartment with Mika, Ayuni, and Kokoro. Mika’s cat had kittens a few weeks ago. Her mom said that if it was okay with my mom, I could have one of the kittens. I ran all the way home. I couldn’t wait to ask Mom. Daddy was home early. He said Mr. Lefarge, his boss, let him off early. I wrote about Mr. Lefarge before. Daddy’s been working for him since before Adam was born. I was glad that Daddy was home early, so I could ask him about having one of the kittens. I gave Daddy a hug and tried to be *really* nice. Then I asked him if I could have a kitten. I’m not mad that he said I couldn’t have a kitten. I’m mad because he said we’re *moving*! We’re going to Egypt, then China, then Greece. I can’t help it if I yelled. I’m really mad! I don’t want to move! I yelled at Daddy that it wasn’t fair. Why should we have to move? Just because Mr. Lafarge said so? It *isn’t* fair! They *never* ask me what I want to do! They don’t care about *my* feelings! I got so mad I ran out of the apartment! I was crying my head off. I just kept running till I got to the park. Since it was nearly dinnertime, no one else was around. I was kinda glad. I didn’t really want to talk to anyone. You know Diary, this was the first time I could ever remember staying in one place so long. It was nice staying at the same school. Having friends for more that a few months. Not having to learn a new language every few weeks. Now Mom, Daddy, and Mr. Lafarge are going to take it all away from me. I sat down on one of the swings and cried. It’s not fair. A few minutes later, Daddy found me. I didn’t want to talk to him. He seemed surprised that I was so upset. He said he didn’t know that I felt this way. I told him he never asked. He said we had to move, because Mr. Lafarge needed to take care of business in other countries. I was still crying. He said because we’d be moving so much in such a short time, that Mom would teach me and Adam. He still doesn’t get it. I told him I still didn’t want to move. He said we’d be going to Australia after New Year’s. And staying for 6 months. He promised we’d figure out something more permanent. I’m going to hold him to that promise. It’s still not fair. But there isn’t anything I can do about it. I don’t think I like Mr. Lafarge anymore. He’s the one making us move. I’d like to tell him, but Daddy’d get mad. I’m really tired Diary. But I don’t know if I’ll get any sleep tonight. I’m too upset.

June 30, 1979

Dear Diary,

Today is our last day in Japan. My friends had a going away party. They promise to write me after I sent them the new address in Cairo. I still don’t want to go. My friends gave me a bunch of mangas to take with me. Somehow, I don’t think they’ll keep writing. I’ve got to stop now Diary. Mr. Lafarge is flying with us. His limo is here to pick us up. Usually I’d be really excited about getting to ride in the limo. He’s also putting us in first class, so he and Daddy can talk. Right now, I couldn’t care less. Next time I write Diary, I’ll be in Cairo, Egypt.

July 26, 1979

Dear Diary,

Another birthday is here. I don’t feel very happy about it. I don’t feel happy about most things anymore. We’ve been in Cairo for almost a month now. There aren’t any kids my own age around here. If there are, I haven’t met them. There’s nothing good to watch on tv. Arabic is kinda hard. Maybe I’m just not interested in it. I just stay in my room a lot and read. Sometimes Adam and I are bored enough to play Monopoly or Scrabble together. That’s really desparate. Home schooling is ok. Mom’s letting me study a lot of mythology. I like mythology. The Egyptian gods are much more interesting than the Greek gods. I am also learning about hiroglifics. I think that’s how they spell it. I could look it up, but I don’t feel like it right now. Daddy keeps giving me all these problems. Good for learning logic, he says. Daddy hasn’t taken me bird watching since we got here. He’s been busy with Mr. Lafarge. He also said that it might not be safe, because of terrorists. I think it’s because there aren’t any interesting birds here. But it doesn’t really bother me. I was getting sick of bird watching. Because it was my birthday, Mr. Lafarge took me and my family to a very big museam. He said it’s really hard to get to go on tours here, because it’s a really important one. I think he’s trying to make up for making me move. He knows I’m mad at him. I kinda liked looking at the mummies. Adam tried to scare me. There were some *really* nice statues. One of the statues was really interesting. The sign said it was a statue of Bastet, the cat goddess. It was a gold statue of a woman with a cat’s head. The eyes were supposed to be real emeralds. Looking at the statue made me feel strange. Not bad strange. A good strange. Like warm. Like someone understood me and cared about what was happening. It was the first time I felt really good since Daddy told me we were leaving Japan. Then my idiot brother had to ruin things by sneaking up behind me. I slugged him one good. Mom threatened to take us home. Mr. Lafarge said it was all right. I think he likes watching me and Adam sometimes. I looked back at the statue again, but I didn’t feel anything. They had a copy of the statue in the museam gift store, made from some metal painted gold. I wanted to buy it, but it was kinda expensive. I’d have to ask Daddy for three month’s allowance in advance. I have to admit, I was kinda surprised that Mr. Lafarge bought it for me. Daddy said it was too expensive, but Mr. Lafarge insisted. He musta seen how interested I was in the real statue. Mr. Lafarge said it was my birthday gift. I still think he feels guilty about making me move. The statue’s on the end table next to my bed now Diary. It gives me a good feeling to look at it. Not really the same feeling I had looking at the real statue, but good enough. I’m still not talking to Adam.

September 30, 1979

Dear Diary,

Another day, another country. Daddy’s kinda mad at me, because I haven’t spent too much time practicing my Chinese. I told him “Why bother? We’re only going to be here for a month.” Daddy blew his stack. I spend most of the time in my room anyway. So it’s not like I’m out talking to people. I haven’t had a letter from anyone in Japan for a while. Mom says it’s because we’ve moved, and the mail might be slow catching up. I don’t think so. I’ve been feeling really down alot Diary. It doesn’t last, though. There’s a couple of kids around. They laugh at my bad Chinese. In another few weeks, I’ll never see them again. So it doesn’t matter. Eating something helps me feel a little better. Mom says I’m eating more because I’m growing. But food makes me feel good. At least food never laughs at me.

December 24, 1979

Dear Diary,

Uncle Joe and Grinny have both come to Greece to spend Christmas with us. I’m glad they’re here, but I’m having a lot of trouble getting excited about Christmas. Why should I? It’s just another lonely day for me. Maybe the food’s a little different. At least there will be lots of cakes and cookies. Grinny came into my room to talk to me. She said she thought something was wrong. I started crying, and told her everything. It felt good to tell someone. Writing is one thing. Talking about it is another. I can’t talk to Mom or Daddy about it. And Adam just doesn’t understand. Grinny said I could come live with her in the states, if my parents would let me. We’re going to ask them the day after Christmas, so if Daddy gets mad, he won’t completely ruin Christmas. Grinny is the first person who seems to understand how I feel.

December 26, 1979

Dear Diary,

We asked Daddy and Mom if I could go live with Grinny. Daddy exploded. He said there was no way on earth he’d let his daughter live with a 70 year old woman who hangs out with bikers. I’m a little too down to write much today Diary. I’m going to go take a bowl of ice cream. Maybe that will make me feel a little better.

January 1, 1980

Dear Diary,

I thought the New Year’s Party at the British Embassy was going to be a total bore. I wasn’t totally wrong. All I wanted to do was stay by the dessert table. There were some really good cakes and pastries there. But I got stuck with some other girls my age. They wouldn’t leave me alone, and dragged me off to a corner to talk. They wanted to hear about travelling from country to country. I really didn’t want to talk to them. Then one of them mentioned something *really* interesting. She said she went to what’s called a “boarding school.” She actually lives at the school, then visits her family on holidays. The other girls, who’s parents also worked at the embassy, said they did the same thing. They told me about living at the boarding school. They think I’m crazy, but boarding school sounds like the answer to my prayers. After things settle down, when we get to Australia, I’m going to ask Mom and Daddy about it. I haven’t felt this good in months. On the down side, Grinny and Uncle Joe both leave for the states in another couple of days. I told Grinny my plan. She agreed that I shouldn’t rush things. She said to try to butter up my dad. Maybe I’ll ask him to take me bird watching. We haven’t done it since we left Japan.

February 17, 1980

Dear Diary,

I can’t believe he said no! He is *sooooooo* unfair! We were all in the kitchen. Adam was stuffing his face. Mom and Daddy were reading the paper. It seemed like the perfect time to ask them about boarding school. They all thought I was kidding! Mom asked me if I knew what was boarding school was. I told her everything that the other girls told me, and everything I managed to find out after that. I didn’t mention Grinny had sent me a few brochures from some schools. I am *soooo* mad at them! Daddy promised we’d figure things out when we got to Australia! He won’t even *consider* sending me to boarding school! So I said he should quit working for Mr. Lafarge. He promised me we’d do something! Daddy just totally blew up. Adam just sat there like a bump on a log listening to me and Daddy fight. Well, now I’m grounded. Not like it means anything to me now. It’s not like I have anyplace to go or anything to do. I haven’t heard from Ayuni, Mika, or Kokoro. I think I’m just going to go curl up under my blanket. I don’t even want to be in the same room as my father.

March 26, 1980

Dear Diary,

I’m just feeling worse and worse. It’s not like feeling sick, like a cold, or the flu. But I almost hate getting up in the morning. What’s the use? I just go to school, then come home and sit in my room until dinner. Then I go back into my room. Miss Burton, my teacher, asked me if anything was wrong. I don’t think I can tell her. It’s not like she can do anything. I should be doing my homework. I don’t feel like it. What good does it do me? Next school I go to won’t even be covering the same thing. I don’t know why I bother any more.

April 10, 1980

Dear Diary,

Mom took me to the doctor today. I put on weight since my last doctor’s visit. He said I’m too heavy for a girl my age. He wants me to go on a diet. Diet is “die” with a “t” on the end. If I go on a diet, I will just die. Food is the only friend I have, besides my stuffed animals and my books. Food makes me feel a little bit better. Daddy already said we’re moving to France for the New Year. He gave me some French tapes. I haven’t listened to them. What good will it do me? I failed two spelling tests, and not because I’m having problems remembering the English and the American spellings. I also failed a math test and a history test. Studying is just too much effort. Daddy said if I fail another test I’ll be grounded. He’ll have to take away my books and the radio then, or lock me in a closet. I don’t do anything other than sit in my room and read anymore. Sometimes all I do is just sit there, not even reading. I just stare at the statue of Bastet that I got back in Egypt. Diary, sometimes I wonder if living is even worth it.

April 15, 1980

Dear Diary,

Miss Burton sent a note home to Mom and Daddy. She wants to see them. They’re going to see her after school tomorrow. I have to go with them. I talked to the school cousellor today. She just asked me a bunch of stuff. Part of me wanted to start crying. But I’m all cried out. It stopped making me feel better a few weeks ago. She’ll probably talk to Mom and Daddy too. I’ll let you know what Miss Burton says.

April 16, 1980

Dear Diary,

Today was the meeting with Miss Burton. The counsellor was there. She asked me to go into the hall. I could still hear them talking. Miss Burton asked them if anything was wrong, because all of a sudden I seemed to have completely lost interest in school, and that my grades had dropped over the last month. Mom said she thought I was having trouble with all the moving. And that I was missing my friends in Tokyo. Then the counsellor said she thought I was depressed. Is that what I’ve been feeling these last few months? The counsellor said that if Mom and Daddy needed, they could recommend a psychologist that helped children. I think Daddy started to get mad. I couldn’t hear anything else. He yelled at me on the way home. He said I was doing it on purpose. Mom told him to stop it. I didn’t say anything. I just went into my room. I can hear Mom and Daddy arguing in the other room. They’re talking about what to do about me. I don’t care anymore. Tomorrow is Saturday. I’ll probably just spend the whole day in my room.

April 17, 1980

Dear Diary,

I *can’t* believe it! Daddy and Mom told me they decided to send me and Adam to boarding school! They were up all night talking. When Adam and I both got up and were having breakfast, Daddy told us that he and Mom decided boarding school might be the best thing for both of us. Me, because I need something more stable, and Adam, because it won’t look good when he applies for college if he’s been jumping from high school to high school. I guess the talk with my teacher worked! If I would have known, I would have asked her help in the first place! I wish I could have gone to live with Grinny, but Daddy says a 70 year old woman shouldn’t live like a 19 year old hippie. Whatever that’s supposed to mean. And Uncle Joe goes out of town too much to take care of me and Adam. I don’t care that much. I can’t wait. Daddy said he’s going to talk to Mr. Lafarge about taking time off after school ends, so we can go look at schools. They want us at a school where Grinny and Uncle Joe can reach us quickly if there’s an emergency. They also want it to be a school where we can visit relatives for the weekend. I wonder if I should give them the brochures Grinny sent me? Diary, I haven’t felt this good in a *long* time. I gave Daddy a big hug. Adam didn’t seem to care about going to boarding school, but I can’t wait!

June 29, 1980

Dear Diary,

We’ve finished visiting schools. A couple of them, I didn’t like. The headmasters weren’t that nice. Neither were the teachers. There was one I really liked. The buildings were pretty, and the teachers seemed nice. It’s about an hour away from Grinny’s apartment. They have some really neat classes that are like extra classes you can take after the regular ones. If I go there, I’m going to take the cooking classes and the writing classes. They said the school is “co-educational,” which means both boys and girls go there, which Mom and Daddy like, because it means Adam and I will be at the same school. I’m glad the building where the boys live is on the other side of the grounds from where the girls live. The rooms were nice. But you have to share with two other girls. There’s not going to be enough room for me to bring everything I want to. There is a *huge* library though. We’re all going to sit down and decide which school tomorrow. I wish Adam would say something, or at least show a little interest.

August 15, 1980

Dear Diary,

I’m finally settled into my dorm room. I couldn’t bring a lot of things. I wound up leaving most of my stuffed animals and half my books at Grinny’s place. She says when I go visit her, I can trade off my books and keep changing what I have. I did bring Papa Bear. That’s the new bear Uncle Joe gave me for my birthday. He said it’s to keep me company at school, so I couldn’t leave it anywhere else. I also brought my statue of Bastet with me. My roommates, Jennette and Maryanne, think it’s crazy. I don’t care what they think. They’re both kind of snobby. But I’ve also managed to impress them by being able to speak several languages. I think they want to keep on my good side, so I can help them with their language homework. They remind me of the girls that I met that told me about boarding schools in the first place. We each have a bed, an end table, and a weird sort of armoire. It has a long cabinet on side for hanging our uniforms, and other clothes we might need to hang, and a bunch of small drawers on the other side. We’re allowed to store things under our beds, so Uncle Joe helped me get some boxes that are the right size to slide underneath. That’s where I’m going to keep my books. School starts in another three weeks, but Mom and Daddy are in the middle of moving to France, so I came a bit early. Daddy had to admit, it was easier getting everything set up in the new apartment when he didn’t have to move me and Adam too. I’ve signed up for some after school classes. Cooking looks like it’s going to be really fun. In the winter, they’re giving an ice skating class. I might take it. The doctor said I need to get some more exercise. I need to go now, Diary. There’s a good program on in the TV room.

October 12, 1980

Dear Diary,

Adam and I are having *so* much fun spending the weekend with Grinny. She let Adam ride on her motorcycle. I didn’t. It kind of scared me. Motorcycles just remind me of monster bicycles. Like the one I fell off of and broke my arm when I was little. We went to lunch in a place where there were all sorts of Asian markets. We found a store that sold some Japanese mangas. I was in 7th heaven! I have to admit it. In a way, sometimes I miss seeing Adam all the time. Today reminded me of why I *don’t* miss him. He can be such a pain sometimes. It’s been nice, having a weekend away from my roommates. They like to giggle and talk about boys and clothes. Boring stuff. I usually have to go to one of the silent study areas to get away from them. I met a few other girls that are pretty nice. We have a lot of the same interests. Maybe next year, we can see if we can get to share a room. Tomorrow afternoon Adam and I are going back to school. I’ll write more in the evening.

March 4, 1982

Dear Diary,

Boy, were those tests tough! I studied, so I think I did well. I’m just writing a quick message before Uncle Joe picks up me and Adam for the weekend. Uncle Joe said we’ll have fun. I hope so. It’s always nice to get away from school for the weekend. I’m not complaining, mind you. I love boarding school. It’s just being at school every day and every night gets monotonous. I’ve been practicing my Spanish. We’re going to spend the summer in Spain with Mom and Dad. Dad said Mr. Lafarge might just rent a big villa for the summer, and let us stay in one of the wings. Should be interesting. Adam’s been practicing his Spanish with me. Says he wants to meet a pretty senorita. Yes, Diary, my brother has officially gone girl crazy. Have to go now. Adam’s telling me Uncle Joe is here.

June 15, 1983

Dear Diary,

Everyone is here to see Adam graduate, even Mr. Lafarge. I’m amazed Adam manged to pull it off. Of course, he had me helping him. It’s going to feel really weird here next year, without Adam around. It’s funny. I’ve been watching Mr. Lafarge. He’s had girlfriends, but never married. I’ve never met any of his family. In a way, I guess we’ve been his family. He’s kind of like another uncle. Dad’s been working for him since before Adam was born. He and Mr. Lafarge must be really good friends. I guess I’ve forgiven him for making us move all the time. His company is so big that he needs to take care of it, and Dad is like his right hand man. I guess, Diary, that the last couple of years have been the best. I still get to visit different countries in the summer and Christmas and Easter, but I always have the same place to come back to. And I like that.

December 1, 1984

Dear Diary,

Remember that book I wrote about? The one that like covered a person’s life for 200 years? The one Uncle Joe asked me to read? I thought that was a piece of fiction. Uncle Joe told me today that it was real! That it actually happened to a person! I said there was no way, since people don’t live to be that old. He told me, and all of this is between you and me Diary, that there are people called Immortals, that live for hundreds, even thousands of years! A bunch of different people wrote the book as they followed this one Immortal. He told me that the people who wrote the book were called “Watchers.” Their job is to record what happens to the Immortals. Then it hit me! I asked Uncle Joe if Dad was a Watcher. He said yes! He said he was one too! And then I asked if Mr. Lafarge was an Immoral. And he is! Once he told me that, so many things fell into place! Like putting together a puzzle. All the stuff Dad used to teach me when I was little. Logic. Investigating. Even the bird watching. It’s like, he was training me to become one too. Grandpa Joel, and my great-grand aunt Mary were also Watchers. Uncle Joe said that there has been a Watcher from every generation of our family. We talked a little about me becoming a Watcher. I said I wanted to maybe become a translator. He said I could be a Watcher and a translator. As a translator, I could work for an Immortal. Like the way Dad works for Mr. Lafarge as his assistant. Uncle Joe told me to think about it. I don’t know Diary. Is it really what I want to do?

May 4, 1985

Dear Diary,

Today Uncle Joe took me to a place he called Watcher’s Headquarters. I couldn’t believe all the books! Each one is a section of history from the life of an Immortal. There were even some scrolls dating back to ancient Egypt! I was afraid to touch them, in case they would fall apart. Dad sounds proud that I know about the Watchers and I’m learning more about what they do. He really wants me to become a Watcher too. Because Adam’s studying pre-med, he said it’s important for me to continue the family tradition of being a Watcher. I’m not too sure about this Diary. After Headquarters, Uncle Joe took me out to eat. He pointed out a man to me. I don’t know how he knew, but he said that man was an Immortal. I guess if I join, I’ll learn how to tell. I still don’t know.

June 21, 1987

Dear Diary,

Graduation is over and done with! Now, off to college! I’m going to miss Nancy and Ellen. They’re going to school in Washington, D.C. I’m staying right here. I’m all ready enrolled and registered for classes. I’m taking the usual English and Math. I’m taking a ceramics class, a foreign language class, and a class on introductory investigation. I hope I don’t regret the last one. Uncle Joe and Dad seem thrilled that I’m studying things that will help me be a Watcher. I told them I’m still not decided. We’re going to spend the summer in Switzerland. Can’t wait. Adam isn’t coming though. He’s got an internship for the summer. I need to start saving my money. I want to get a car. I also want to go back to Japan. I doubt I’d find any of my old friends, but I’d still like to just go and look around. For old times sake.

April 4, 1988

Dear Diary

Uncle Joe took me on a “watch” with him tonight. It was kind boring, but kind of exciting too. He is assigned to watch an Immortal named Duncan MacCleod. We followed him around, which was kind of boring. The exciting part was trying to do it without being caught. Immortals aren’t supposed to know about Watchers. If you’re around for hundreds of years, I don’t see how you can not figure it out. Oh well. I’m dead tired. I’m going to pass out. Then I have to get up and finish reading 5 chapters for a history class. Andrea, my roommate, wants me to go shopping with her tomorrow. I don’t know which is worse sometimes. Watching or shopping.

October 31, 1989

Dear Diary,

Andrea and I went to the school Halloween carnival. It’s a charity fundraiser. I won a few things at the booths. At least the food was good. Andrea dragged me over to the “authentic” fortune teller. I wasn’t really concerned about the future, since I know I’m going to be a Watcher. But I did ask the fortune teller about one thing. I’ve always thought it was weird that guys didn’t ask me out on dates. According to the fortune teller, there’s one man out there for me. When we meet, we’ll know it. She said there were higher powers at work on my love life. If there are, I’d like them to mind their own business. I hate seeing all my friends going out with guys, while I’m stuck sitting around reading. But then, the bar scene doesn’t quite appeal to me. Neither does the frat scene.

February 19, 1991

Dear Diary,

Uncle Joe took me out on a watch with him again. This time was very different than the others. It’s hard for me to explain. It was almost too weird. I’ve seen Duncan MacCleod meet other Immortals and talk, go out to dinner, even fool around (with some of the female ones). He even had a guy that was a new Immmortal that he was teaching about being an Immortal. Tonight, Duncan met up with a really nasty type. The two of them got into a sword fight. I know this is natural, and that in the end, there is only supposed to be one Immortal. But I never thought I’d actually see it happen. Duncan was almost down a few times, but he managed to get the better of his opponent. Then he - he cut off the other guy’s head! I couldn’t believe it! Then all this lightning and thunder came out of nowhere. It all struck Duncan. Then he got up, wiped off his sword, and walked away like nothing happened! I guess I’m still in shock about it. Uncle Joe said it was normal, and called it a “quickening.” He said that the energy of the other Immortal was transfered to Duncan. Something tells me I made the wrong decision.

August 4, 1991

Dear Diary,

Now that I’m officially finished with my post-graduation vacation, Uncle Joe has started me on a full time Watchers training program. It’s too late to turn back now. I stood up before 10 veteran Watchers and swore an oath of secrecy and non-interference. Then I got a tattoo on the inside of my left wrist. I feel like I’ve been branded. Uncle Joe took me out to celebrate. I spoke to Dad on the phone. He sounded very proud of me. I like it when Dad is proud of me, but I don’t feel like I’m doing what I want to do with my life. I met a few people who’ve been Watchers for 40 years. Can I keep doing it that long?

September 17, 1992

Dear Diary,

Today, I begin two things at once. My first real job as a translator and my first watching assignment. His name is Jacob Taylor. He looks like he’s about 50, but he’s supposed to be 120 years old. Someone in the Watchers pulled a few strings, and got me hired as his translator. Mr. Taylor seems nice. I hope I can handle this on my own. You know, Diary, I still think about what that fortune teller said a few years ago. About me and men. I’m wondering if it’s true? I’ve never been on what could be considered a date. I’m feeling very lonely. I haven’t felt like this since before I started boarding school. I hope it’s just temporary.

May 31, 1994

Dear Diary,

Oh God! Today was awful! Mr. Taylor ran into another Immortal. One of the nasty ones. I wish I could have warned him! Poor Mr. Taylor couldn’t stand up to him. I really don’t feel up to writing now Diary. This has just been too devistating. Uncle Joe said that’s how it feels the first time you lose your Immortal. He said you get used to it. He’s been watching Duncan MacCleod for around 10 years now. I wonder if he’d say the same thing if it was Duncan?

July 6, 1994

Dear Diary,

I’ve finally been reassigned. Her name is Janelle Mercur. She was born in France and is around 200 years old. She’s a fashion designer and travels between New York, Hollywood, France, and Italy. I’ve been hired as her personal secretary. I hope this isn’t going to be a repeat of the last time. I’m going to call this an early night Diary. First day of work is tomorrow.

November 15, 1996

Dear Diary,

Janelle is dead. Another Watcher reported it. I still have the flu. He said that Janelle and his Immortal had crossed swords in the past and had some bad blood between them. I didn’t need this. Uncle Joe told me to take it easy for a few days. I feel even sicker than before. But I’m almost glad I didn’t see it. I don’t think I could handle seeing her die. Janelle was a wonderful woman. She had a zest for life, and treated her Immortality like a blessing from Heaven. I’ll really miss her. I swear Diary, that if I lose another Immortal, I’m quitting the Watchers. I can’t keep dealing with losing them like this.

December 12, 1996

Dear Diary,

I’ve arrived in China. I’m still trying to find my new assignment. His name is Keido Morisato. He’s 19, and been Immortal for a few weeks. This time, I want to try to watch from a distance. Maybe if I don’t get involved, it won’t hurt so much. Tomorrow morning, I’m going to a place called Jusenkyo. Keido had last been spotted there. Last time I was in China, I was a kid. When I was completely depressed. Too bad I didn’t try to learn too much Chinese. I could use it now. They said the guide that’s going to show me around Jusenkyo speaks Japanese, so we’ll be able to converse some. I better get a good night’s sleep tonight. I’m going to be doing a lot of walking tomorrow.

December 13, 1996

Dear Diary,

This has got to be the *weirdest* day of my life. The car I hired dropped me off at this little cottage, where I met the Jusenkyo guide. The guide said that he had been sitting out by the pools fixing signs. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the guy Keido falls into one of the springs. The guide then proceeded to tell me about the pool, in which he said a moogle drowned a few hundred years ago. Then he said the guy suddenly disappeared. I didn’t know what to do. But I was there, and I figured that, if I looked around, maybe I’d find some clue. The guide warned me to be careful walking around the pools. It was muddy. A little slippery due to some recent rains. We got to the spring of drowned moogle. As I was walking around, I started to get the strangest feeling. To be honest, I felt like I was walking over my own grave. I didn’t find anything from Keido around there. A cliff was hanging over us. I thought maybe he fell from the cliff. I decided to take a closer at the cliff. Big mistake. As I was walking towards the cliff, I slipped and landed in one of the pools. It was pretty shallow, but it looked like it had once been a lot deeper. Suddenly I felt very strange. I looked down at my hands. They were covered with black fur. I had claws instead of finger nails. My clothes were inexplicably 5 sizes too big. I tried to brush some hair off my face when I realize that my hair is now a shade of pink somewhere between bubblegum and shocking. Then I felt something brushing against my leg! I had a tail! I was starting to freak out when the guide came over to me. He said I fell in the spring of drowned mystical catwoman, then told me the tragic tale of a catwoman who fell off the cliff, was pinned under rocks, and drowned 998 years ago. Thank God he told me hot water would change be back to normal. That’s the good part. The bad part is that whenever I’m hit by cool water, I’m going to turn into a cat woman. Complete with ears, tail, claws, etc. After I calmed down and got back to the hotel, I decided to check this out a little more carefully. So I got undressed and splashed myself with cold water. The fur on my arms just comes up to my elbows. Like a fur glove. On my legs it comes up to my knees. There’s also black fur on my ears, tail, and a few stripes on my body. But whoever this cat woman was, she was in good shape. Oh God Diary. I haven’t a clue as to what to do next. The guide told me that most people with Jusenkyo curses wind up in the Nerima District of Tokyo. He also said I’m fairly lucky. Not that I was thinking anything of the kind. But he said at least my curse was still female. And still human. Somewhat. I may wind up going to Nerima. But first, I want to see what I can find out about these curses.

January 21, 1997

Dear Diary,

I’m still trying to cope with this curse thing. Not only have I figured out that I can turn into a cat, but I’ve also figured out a few things. I always wondered how cats seem to move so quickly and get places, even if you don’t see them. Now I know. It’s called cat space. When I turn into a cat, I can go into this other dimension. I can’t enter it as a cat woman, but I can open up “portals” and store stuff there. It’s very handy. I think I figured this out by accident. That’s what I want to call it. It almost felt like something in the back of my mind was telling me how to do it. I wonder if the memories of the spring’s first victim can affect subsequent victims. This curse might not turn out to be so bad. If I don’t want my Immortal to know I’m tailing him, I can change into my cursed form. I can even follow him as a cat. Speaking of Keido, Uncle Joe told me today I need to get back on the trail. I guess I’ll follow the Jusenkyo guide’s advice and go to Japan. If nothing else, I can probably find someone who can tell me more about Jusenkyo curses. I’m leaving tomorrow morning. I’ll just have to see what happens next.